Tuesday, September 05, 2006

What I Ate - Highlights

Sorry I have been so delinquent the past week or so. I have been eating, I just haven't had the time to write about it. A few posts are ready to go and currently are stewing in my head, but I only have a few minutes this morning, so this will just be a highlight tour of my Labor Day weekend.

  • Friday night - Indian food. Delicious Chicken Korma. Also had a rum cocktail with a dark rum that a friend brought us from the Caribbean. I'm not sure that any other liquor smells as good as rum.
  • Saturday - cup of clam chowder in Newport, RI. Perfect comfort food for a stormy day.
  • Sunday - tasted Johnny Cakes for the first time at a greasy diner in RI. Johnny Cakes are very thin cornmeal pancakes that almost look like crepes. We sat at the counter by the griddle... had to pretend that the exorbitant amount of grease was just an illusion.
  • Sunday night went to a new restaurant Japonais. Among other fantastically trendy items, had thin cut filet mignon cooked at the table on a hot rock, excellent octopus sushi, and the best fries and spicy mayonnaise that I have ever had at an Asian restaurant....the answer is no, I have never had fries and spicy mayonnaise at an Asian restaurant before. But yes, they were still wonderfully crispy, full of spice including, I think, crushed nori. And as some of you know, I have a thing for flavored mayonnaise. I could only hope to make mayonnaise this good.
  • Monday went to a bbq to cap off the summer at a friend's house. Had a delicious burger that is said friends secret recipe. The chopped onions that he incorporates keeps the burger really juicy. Maybe he will be nice enough to share the recipe with us.

What did you eat over the Labor Day weekend?

No comments: