Monday, September 25, 2006

Too Many Carrots?

I haven't had any coffee or tea yet and I woke up with an unexplainable swollen left eye, so I'm a little slow going right now. This post will be short and sweet. Here are a few random thoughts:
  • Had a lovely Rosh Hashanah dinner on Saturday at the in-laws. Because of a lack of communication on my part, there were two carrot side dishes. But I think it was ok because they were so different - also, can you have too many carrots?I think not. I made steamed carrots with garlic, honey, cinnamon, and cumin. They sound better then they were and ultimately tasted just ok in my opinion. My cousin in law made Carrot Souffle which was the subject of much conversation, I think because who ever heard of Carrot Souffle, but also because it was a delicious surprise. I say surprise, because I wouldn't think to put carrots and pineapple together in a souffle. Maybe cousin in law will be nice enough to post the recipe for the rest of us?
  • The highlight of this dinner for me, besides the good company of course, is always the brisket and sweet and sour meatballs. I am seriously upset right now because I was supposed to take leftover meatballs to work with me and I forgot them at home, probably because I was spending too much time poking at swollen left eye.
  • The brisket reminds me of how much I love braising and stewing season...a few more weeks and it will be the cooking method of choice for me.
  • Finally, today is a good day because my Gourmet magazine came this weekend. I resisted the urge to read it last night so that I would have good train reading material. Cracked the magazine this morning and had an excellent ride to work.
  • Coffee and bagel just delivered, much happier now.

Posts later this week, the ugliest thing I have ever cooked, finally used hazelnut oil that I bought in Paris, going to Babbo for a BNO....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I made your blog; I am truly honored, and so would my carrot souffle be, if in fact it had feelings. Following is the recipe, and one other thought. Cousin-in-law seems quite wordy, no? Perhaps we should come up with something else.

The "Infamous" Carrot Souffle

5 large eggs, separated
2 c finely grated carrots (about 5-6 large)
1 c sugar
3/4 c matzo meal
1/2 c canola/vegetable oil
1 t lemon juice
2 T orange juice
1 can crushed pineapple w/heavy syrup

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x9 square pan with nonstick cooking spray. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold in carrots, sugar and matzo meal. Fold in egg yolks, oil, lemon juice, orange juice and pineapple. Bake 40-45 minutes or until top is golden.